Many patients all over the world suffer from one or multiple missing teeth. A gappy smile can make people feel self-conscious and may lead to unnecessary wear and tear on teeth and other dental problems. Fortunately, dental implants are one of the very best restorative dental options out there for improved health and self image!
Dental implants do more for your teeth and overall oral health than many other restorative treatments by truly getting to the root of the problem when it comes to missing teeth. At Weinberg Dentistry, we offer dental implants to our patients as a way to preserve their smiles for years to come.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are actually made up of three separate components combined together.
- The first piece is the actual implant. It is inserted below the gumline of the smile, surgically placed within the jaw bone to act as the root of the tooth.
- The second part of a dental implant is called the abutment. This piece is affixed to the dental implant. It acts as an anchor and connector between the implant and the dental prosthetic device.
- This prosthetic device is the third part of a dental implant. It is the dental crown or bridge that sits above the gumline, where it looks and functions just like a natural tooth.
All together these three pieces make up a dental implant that will replace your missing tooth or teeth. It will look and function just like any of your existing teeth—so much so that you may not even be able to tell the difference between it and your natural teeth!
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are one of the top restorative dental treatments because of the many advantages associated with them. When you choose to have a dental implant placed, you’ll be able to enjoy the following benefits:
- Long-Lasting: If properly cared for and maintained, dental implants can last you a lifetime. Caring for them is easy—simply treat them like you do your existing teeth. Brush and floss regularly and keep up on your dental appointments and checkups.
- Prevent Bone Loss: Dental implants are the only known restorative device that prevents bone loss in your jaw. A dental implant gives the bone in the area something to grow around and attach to, preserving and even enhancing bone density.
- Keep Adjacent Teeth Safe: Dental implants support your existing teeth by keeping them in their proper position and preventing them from shifting around in excess space. This can prevent unnecessary wear on your teeth.
- Preserve Facial Structure: When bone density degrades enough, patients can lose minor or major portions of their facial structure. Dental implants support bone density in the area, keeping your facial structure strong and healthy.
Am I a Good Fit For Dental Implants?
You’ll make a good fit for dental implants if you meet any of the following qualifications:
- One or more missing teeth.
- Broken or decaying teeth.
- Optimal bone density.
The right amount of bone density is dependent on a number of factors. However, most patients today can receive dental implants even if they lack the apparent required bone density in the jaw. This is because we have treatment techniques for bone grafting that help us make sure you have the right amount of bone density to support a dental implant.
Learn More About Dental Implants Today
Discover what a difference dental implants can make in your life by contacting us today. We are pleased to be able to offer this treatment option to our patients at Weinberg Dentistry. Don’t wait any longer to get the gaps in your smile fixed!